ISHS is a trusted guide through the state’s history and how it has shaped every aspect of our lives, our land, our communities, our government and our people. The ISHS volunteer program is committed to preserving and promoting Idaho’s history. As a part of making history essential and accessible through dynamic and gratifying services that inspire, enrich and engage all Idahoans, ISHS volunteer program welcomes volunteers in a variety of roles, including activities that directly support paid employees, leadership positions and ISHS customers.
ISHS encourages the teamwork of employees and volunteers so that we can offer our consumers the best services possible. Volunteers contribute their skills, and knowledge of our community to provide personalized attention to clients and educate public about our agency and its mission.
Due to COVID-19, all Volunteer positions are on hold at this time.
- A better understanding of Idaho history through access to educational materials, and close working relationships with professional staff
- 10% off site store purchases
- Opportunities to interact with people and share the pride and history of Idaho
- On-going training and learning opportunities related to Idaho History
- Invitation to an annual volunteer appreciation event
- Job references upon request
- Subscription to the Mountain Light newsletter
At the Idaho State Museum
- Idaho State Museum Ambassador – stationed throughout the Museum during field trip program days, special events, and times of peak visitation. Represent the Museum at outreach in the community.
- Idaho State Museum Educator – Deliver engaging programs for Preschool-12th grade audiences through discussion-based tours and object based-inquiry.
- Idaho State Museum Discovery Guide – engage family and intergenerational audiences through conversation, hands-on activities, and exploration in the Boomtown and History Lab Exhibits in the family galleries of the Museum.
At the Old Idaho Penitentiary
- Old Idaho Penitentiary Exhibit Host – Answer visitor questions as they visit and interact with specific exhibits.