Idaho State Historical Society (ISHS) volunteers are an active and essential part of the mission of ISHS, providing invaluable resources through educational programs, assisting with daily operations and long-term goals. Volunteering at ISHS provides the opportunity for social and networking through daily interaction and continuing educational benefits through presentations, lectures and demonstrations.
- A better understanding of Idaho history through access to educational materials, and close working relationships with professional staff
- 10% off site store purchases
- Opportunities to interact with people and share the pride and history of Idaho
- On-going training and learning opportunities related to Idaho History
- Invitation to an annual volunteer appreciation event
- Job references upon request
- Subscription to the Mountain Light newsletter
How Do I Become a Volunteer?
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator
An ISHS staff member will contact you to arrange an interview to learn more about your skills, abilities, and interests.
Have questions about specific opportunities? Contact our Membership & Volunteer Coordinator at (208) 514-2331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
At the Idaho State Museum
- Idaho State Museum Ambassador – stationed throughout the Museum during field trip program days, special events, and times of peak visitation. Represent the Museum at outreach in the community.
- Idaho State Museum Educator – Deliver engaging programs for Preschool-12th grade audiences through discussion-based tours and object based-inquiry.
- Idaho State Museum Discovery Guide – engage family and intergenerational audiences through conversation, hands-on activities, and exploration in the Boomtown and History Lab Exhibits in the family galleries of the Museum.
- Idaho State Museum Tour Guide – Lead guided indoor tours, with times and frequency varying throughout the year
- Idaho State Museum Special Events Volunteer – Assist in part or all of event prep, implementation and clean up. Assist with membership/volunteer recruitment promotions on site and off site.
- Idaho State Museum Collections Data Input -Project specific
At the Old Idaho Penitentiary
- Old Idaho Penitentiary Site Docent – Lead guided indoor and outdoor tours are offered seven days a week, with times and frequency varying depending upon the season.
- Old Idaho Penitentiary Site Host – Primary point of contact for visitors entering the site.
- Old Idaho Penitentiary Exhibit Host – Answer visitor questions as they visit and interact with specific exhibits.
- Special Events Volunteer – Assist in part or all of event prep, implementation and clean up. Assist with membership/volunteer recruitment promotions on site and off site.
At the Idaho State Archives
- Research Center Page – Project specific