GEM High School Internship Program at the Idaho State Museum
The Guide, Engage, Mobilize (GEM) High School Internship Program brings together passionate, curious, and innovative teens to make a difference in their community and get a behind the scenes look at the Idaho State Museum. Teens will network with professionals including historians, curators, and designers as they advance important skills that will prepare them for college and career. Dive deeper into exciting topics and develop key skills through exhibit design, facilitation of family and youth programs, and event coordination. GEM interns will also go on field trips to other Idaho State Historical Society sites, including the Old Idaho Penitentiary. As a member of the Museum team, they will meet teens from across the Treasure Valley and work together to create exciting and educational experiences for visitors of all ages.
- Explore the Museum’s content through research about the stories of Idaho and the impacts of this history on the past, present, and future.
- Work alongside Museum Professionals and hear from guest speakers who share the stories of Idaho
- Create a poster exhibit and develop a Teen Takeover event made by teens for teens.
Program Stipend: $500 split into two payments (December, June)
Program Dates: November 7, 2023-June 25, 2024
Required Bi-weekly Meetings: Tuesdays starting November 7, 2023 from 4pm-7pm (Snacks provided, up to 3 excused absences throughout the year)
Required Volunteer Shifts: Complete volunteer hours on select second Saturday of each month. Saturday shifts will also be used as time to complete projects.
- Bi-weekly Meetings – Meet as a team with the other interns to hang out, eat, train, research, and work on projects.
- Second Saturdays – Work on projects and spend time interacting with children and their families to complete hands-on activities together from 12pm-3pm on the Second Saturday of each month.
- Plan a Family Second Saturday event, creating a craft and gallery activity.
- Guest Speakers – Network with Museum Professionals, Historians, and Idahoans who have made history!
- Exhibit Development – Curate, develop, and design a poster exhibition. This year’s theme will be investigating nostalgia, childhood, and coming of age in Idaho.
- Event Coordination – Help plan and promote a teen takeover event made by teens for teens.
Follow the “Teen Programs Interest Form” link at the top of the page to fill out the application form.