The health and safety of our visitors, staff, and volunteers is of the highest priority. As such, in an effort to be proactive and help prevent the spread of the virus in our community, public access to Idaho State Historical Society sites, including the Old Idaho Penitentiary, Franklin and Stricker Ranch Historic Sites, the Idaho State Museum, and the Research Center at the Idaho State Archives will be closed to the public beginning Friday, March 20, and all programming and events are currently canceled or postponed until further notice. Essential agency services, as mandated by state statute, will still be offered during the public closure.
This closure will be in effect until end of day on April 5, 2020, unless extended.
Idaho State Historical Society Members who have an active membership during the month of March will receive a one-month extension to their membership at no additional cost.
Available Online Resources
View the Recently Digitized Emma Edwards Green Manuscript Collection
View Idaho’s Digitized Newspaper Collection from 1863-1925
Browse ISHS Digitized Photograph Collections
View Property Listings in the National Register of Historic Places
Nominate a Person or Organization for a 2020 Esto Perpetua Award
Browse the Idaho State Historical Society’s Reference Series
Listen to the Old Idaho Penitentiary’s “Behind Gray Walls” podcast
Old Idaho Penitentiary YouTube Video Collection
Learn about the Idaho State Museum’s Smithsonian Exhibit, Righting a Wrong: Japanese Americans and World War II
Learn about the Idaho State Constitution Conservation Project
ISHS Services Available During Temporary Public Closures
Idaho State Museum
- Remaining National History Day in Idaho competitions will be moving to a virtual format, which will still allow students to qualify for the national competition.
Idaho State Archives
- Research, reference, and photo services will be available online or via phone.
- Digital reference services are available through the ISHS website.
- The Government Records team will continue the daily operations to manage city, county, state and territorial government records.
- Note: The Collections Stewardship team has placed a temporary hold receiving donated collections until further notice.
State Historic Preservation Office
- Services of the SHPO are available by phone or appointment, Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm. Call (208) 488-7462 to schedule an appointment.
- National Register of Historic Places
- Site Survey & Inventory
- Certified Local Governments
- Preservation Planning
- Federal Tax Incentive Program
- Federal Project Review
- Section 106 Applications Accepted Digitally
Old Idaho Penitentiary
- The Old Idaho Penitentiary’s podcast, “Behind Gray Walls,” is available wherever you listen to your podcasts.
Idaho State Historical Society Administration
- Services of ISHS Administration are available by phone or appointment, Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm. Call (208) 334-2682 to schedule an appointment.
- Agency Administrative services are essential for providing safety, cleanliness, and security for Agency facilities, historic buildings, sites, collections, and exhibitions/amenities. Staff and services will continue optimizing information technology and state cyber-security protocols; supporting Agency human resources (staff and volunteers); implementing strategic communications; managing Agency budget and finances; and cultivating/fulfilling donor relationships and ongoing obligations.
Idaho State Capitol: Capitol Curation Program
- Self-guided tours are available. Check https://capitolcommission.idaho.gov/ for information on public hours and availability.