An extraordinary system of cultural and historical resources.

Recently Listed Properties

Recent Listings to the National Register of Historic Places

 


Big Cedar School
Listed 11/29/16

Big Cedar SchoolThe Big Cedar School is an excellent example of the School House property type documented in the Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF) “Public School Buildings in Idaho.” It has direct associations with the evolution of education in Idaho County during the early twentieth century and represents the development of schoolhouse buildings. By virtue of its architectural integrity, it is an excellent example of the type of a one-room rural schoolhouse executed across rural Idaho, and Idaho County in particular.

Big Cedar School was remote. The nearest towns of any size were Kooskia and Stites, both about 7 to 9 miles west-northwest. The nearest post office was about four miles to the northwest at Tahoe [Ridge]. As the only public building for miles, the schoolhouse served multiple community functions including dance hall, meeting house, polling place, music hall, and church meeting space. 


William Whitehead House, Boise, Ada County
Listed 4/19/16

The William Whitehead house, built in 1910, is locally significant under Criterion C in the area of Architecture as an excellent representative of the craftsman bungalow in Boise, Idaho. It contains many of the important hallmarks of this style including a gabled roof with wide, unboxed eaves; decorative knee braces supporting gables; windows with multiple upper lights; and multiple porches. The exterior of the house is almost entirely unaltered from its original form. A successful pharmacist, Whitehead built the house as his ‘country home,’ when the city limits were still miles away. As such, many of the design elements are simpler than other craftsman houses.

The house is also part of the J. E. Tourtellotte and Company thematic study, and is a good representative example of their work in Boise. 

 


Ernest and Mary Hemingway House, Ketchum vicinity, Blaine County
Listed 3/13/2015

Hemingway HouseThe Ernest and Mary Hemingway House is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places at the national level under Criterion B for its association with Ernest Hemingway, one of the most important and influential writers of the 20th century. Ernest Hemingway owned the house briefly before his death, but it is the suicide of the literary genius in the home that raises the significance of the property to the highest level. In 1959, the Hemingways relocated from Cuba to Ketchum, Idaho, to escape the tumultuous political situation there as well as increasing concerns about the adverse effects of the heat and humidity on Hemingway’s papers and manuscripts. They chose Idaho as their permanent home, in an area he enjoyed and had visited repeatedly over three decades, and where he and Mary had a wide circle of loyal friends. Tragically, however, the move was also accompanied by the rapid deterioration of Ernest’s mental and physical health. Hemingway finally succumbed to his depression and dementia and chose to end his life in the dramatic and individualistic way in which he had lived it. Given the depth of his illness in his final 18 months – the time that he called the Ketchum house his permanent home – it is unlikely that much, if any, of Hemingway’s productive-life’s literary work was produced here. However, the house is nationally significant as the place of his suicide – highly representative and evocative of Ernest Hemingway’s larger-than-life personal and literary legacy. 

 


Mercy Hospital, Nampa, Canyon County
Listed 8/9/2014

Mercy Hospital

Mercy Hospital is significant under Criterion A/Health Care as a representation of community efforts to bring a modern hospital to Nampa at a time when many towns of a similar size did not have a hospital. Mercy Hospital is significant at the local level, for its place in the history of Nampa and the cooperative efforts that were necessary to achieve a long-term, well-staffed hospital for the town. The period of significance (1919-1967) covers the years from the hospital’s construction and opening, through its evolution as a training facility for nurses and expansion of services, to its closure in 1967 when Mercy Medical Center, a new, larger, more modern hospital open to serve Canyon County.

 

 


Porthill Border Inspection Station
Listed 5/22/2014

Porthill

The U.S. Inspection Station-Porthill was included in the Multiple Property Submission (MPS) for U.S. Border Inspection Stations, States Bordering Canada and Mexico. Designed in 1936 and constructed in 1938, it was sited alongside a border highway in direct response to a chain of events including the imposition of head taxes and country quotas on immigration in 1917 and 1921, smuggling arising from the prohibition of alcohol in 1919, and the increase in usage of the automobile and improved roads in the 1920s. The building is distinguished, both exterior and interior, as an excellent example of the Colonial Revival style, particularly for its associative values as a record of the self-image of federal government buildings during the 1930s as interpreted by the Supervising Architect of the Treasury. It retains all of its original program elements, and well demonstrates the historic characteristics of MPS Property Type Number 1: 3-bay Inspection Station.