Take a Closer Look at Inmate Records
Inmate #543 in 1897 and 1901.
Photo Credit: Idaho State Archives
This chronological and indexed catalog provides a comprehensive list of Idaho territorial and state penitentiary prisoners including men, women, and children between the years 1864 and 1947. The catalog provides access to inmate files in the custody of the Idaho State Historical Society by names, aliases, register number, crime, county or jurisdiction, age, year of birth, and year of incarceration. The catalog also provides cross-references to establish the identities of inmates for whom individual case files do not survive.
Inmate files offer a wealth of resources, including:
- Inmates' aliases.
- Crime and incarceration data.
- City, county, and state government documents.
- Occupational data for inmates and for local petitioners regarding pardons and paroles.
Military service documents.
- Photographs, including mug shots, family snapshots, civilian portraits.
- Family correspondence.
- Business correspondence (e.g., employers, workers' unions, veterans' associations).