History Day Awards & Scholarships
At the state and national History Day competitions students and teachers can win prizes and scholarships. Many of the prizes are tied to specific themes such as military history, women's history, and historic preservation. A list of National History Day prizes can be found on the National History Day website.
2013-2014 National History Day in Idaho Student Scholarships
To be eligible for the College of Idaho or Centennial scholarships, you must be in the Senior Division and enter as an Individual (not as one of a group). Scholarships are awarded at the state-level competition only. To be considered for one you must:
STEP 1: Compete in the Regional History Day competition in an Individual Category, and finish in 1st or 2nd place so that you qualify to compete at the state contest.
STEP 2: Compete in the National History Day in Idaho state-level competition.
The College of Idaho Scholarships ($20,000, $10,000 and $5,000) will be awarded to superior 9th - 11th grade entries in any Senior Individual categories.
Idaho Centennial Scholarship ($2,000) will be awarded to an 11th or 12th grade student with a superior entry in any Individual category that focuses on an Idaho topic. Scholarship must be used at an Idaho college or university. Teacher of student also receives $250.
National History Day in Idaho Special Awards
- Idaho Chapter, Oregon-California Trails Association Scholarship ($300) will be awarded to a superior 9th-12th grade entry in any category that focuses on an emigration topic.
- ISHS Trustees' and Director's Trophy $400--"Grand Prize Entry," any division, category
- Boise State University $150—"Outstanding Senior Division Entry", any category; $150—Outstanding Junior Division Entry, any category
- Idaho Chapter, Oregon-California Trails Association $300--"Outstanding Senior Division Entry on Emigration Topic," any category
- Charles Redd Center for Western Studies $100--"Outstanding Senior and Junior Division Historical Papers on a Western Topic"
- Idaho AFL-CIO $100--"Outstanding Entry on Organized Labor," any division, category
- Preservation Idaho $100 and Merle Wells Historic Preservation $200--"Outstanding Entry on a Historical Preservation Topic," any division, category
- Friends of the History Museum $50 each—"Outstanding Youth, Junior and Senior Division Entry on an Idaho Topic," any category
- Military History Museum--Book, one-year Military History Museum membership, trophy--"Outstanding Entry on Military History", junior or senior division, individual or group exhibit category
- Idaho Library Association--Books--"Outstanding Use of Primary Sources", youth & junior divisions, any category
- Micron Foundation $100--"Outstanding Entry in a High Tech Category, " any division
2013-2014 Teacher Prizes
The History Channel sponsors the History Channel Award for Service, presented to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to history education through service to the National History Day program. The winner receives a $5,000 cash prize.
Patricia Behring sponsors the Patricia Behring Teacher of the Year Award which recognizes outstanding NHD teachers. Two state winners, one at both the junior level and senior level, will be selected from each of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, Department of Defense Schools, International schools-Asia and the U.S. territories. The winners of the national awards will be selected from among the state awardees. Each state winner will be awarded $500 and the national winners will receive $10,000.
Applications will be posted as they become available.